Comprehensive Boat Insurance Advice
Michigan is home to countless beautiful bodies of water. Whether you are an avid fisherman, a water ski aficionado or simply enjoy a cruise on the water, the boating lifestyle has much to offer.
Boats are an investment, however, and should be adequately insured before hitting the water. By carrying the proper coverage, you can protect your boat, passengers and others from the costs of a collision or theft.
At Michigan Insurance Services Agency, Inc., we’ve helped clients protect the boating lifestyle for more than 35 years. Our boat insurance experts have the knowledge needed to help you compare insurance options for many types of watercraft, including:
- Bass boats
- Ski boats
- Personal Water Craft (PWC)
Whether you currently own a boat or are considering purchasing one, we help you understand your coverage options and the potential costs of premiums.
What Factors Impact the Costs of Michigan Boat Insurance?
The costs of boat insurance policies vary based on several factors, including:
- Your boat’s value: As with any asset, the value of your boat will impact your coverage options and costs. The more valuable the boat, the more the insurance company will have to pay to repair or replace it after a loss. To offset these potential higher costs, providers consider the value of your boat when determining premiums.
- Type of boat insured: Your boat’s model, engine size and use play a role in determining the costs of coverage and your policy options. For example, powerboats may be more expensive to insure than a pontoon due to the potential for accidents and injuries.
- Coverage options: The types and amounts of coverage you carry will impact your premiums. Some policies cover medical bills, boat replacement or repair after an accident or theft. Others offer additional protection against uninsured boaters. Some policies even protect your trailer or your fishing equipment.
- Where you’ll hit the water: Insurance companies consider your boat’s location when determining premiums. Boats that are used mainly in smaller, less trafficked lakes may cost less to insure than those used on larger bodies of water where the potential for an accident or loss is greater.
- Your deductible: Your deductible, or the amount you are required to pay out of pocket following a loss, will impact your premiums. Choosing a higher deductible is a viable strategy for reducing premiums.
- Discounts: There are many cost-savings strategies to explore when purchasing boat insurance. Bundling your boat coverage with your home or auto insurance may lead to savings. Paying your yearly premium in full, taking a safety class or even simply owning a home may result in reduced costs.
Our staff takes the time to talk you through each of these factors in detail in advance of gathering quotes to ensure the policies you compare are viable protection options for your boat and your budget.
Things to Consider When Purchasing Boat Coverage
Purchasing a boat insurance policy is a bit different than buying coverage for your car or truck. Many boat insurance providers require a detailed inspection of your boat before they extend coverage – the costs of such an inspection can be significant, and may be your responsibility. Other providers may demand you file a detailed plan of where and when you will use your boat, and may not cover a loss outside of these filed navigation plans.
Understanding the unique factors associated with boat insurance is key to making effective coverage decisions.
Discuss Your Boat Insurance Needs With Our Independent Agency
As an independent Michigan insurance agency, we are not tied to a single boat insurance provider. Instead, we work with multiple providers, both large and small, to help you compare your coverage options and choose the best policy for your needs.
“Great rates. Great service.”— Michael P., customer since 2003
“Very friendly and helpful with every question I have asked them.”— Customer since 2014
“You did everything correctly! I am a very satisfied and happy customer!”— Gene, customer since 2017
“We love how you take care of changes with our insurance coverage, etc. when we go south or come back north. After approximately 10 years we are happy with your services you provide.”—Daniel C., customer since 2007
“You have always been there and will compare rates for us. You also are very prompt when it comes to adding new vehicles to our account. Also making sure we have the correct coverage we need for our home, cars, camper and boat.”— Michael L.
“When our tree fell on our house one year. You guys came out that same morning and called the tree trimmers to take care of it right away. Great company. ”
“Service! Whether it's a claim or the bill or we just need a question answered about our policy you're always there to help.”— Scott B.
“We enjoy that you treat us like a valued customer and always try to find the best option and price for our insurance needs! Love the personal service also!”— Mike, customer since 2016
“Very smooth process when making a claim.”— Adam R., customer since 2015